Friday, February 21, 2014

http://usergeneratededucation.wordpress.com/
A Quick Summary of my Learning Experiences

Prior to exploring Second Life, I didn’t know much about the potential of Virtual Learning Environments (VLE’s). SL is so much more than I thought it would be. The only thing holding me back from reaping all that it had to offer  were things beyond my control. My computer, which is slightly outdated and lacks the required capabilities for SL, and my Internet Service Provider (ISP) ; don’t get me started.
I think SL as a VLE is a wonderful idea, and perhaps if can acquire the tools I need to use it to its full potential I will indulge in all that it has to offer. Nevertheless, at this point in my career 2D learning platforms make the most sense academically and financially. For someone looking to learn asynchronously on their own time, a P2 environment like second life would be ideal and maybe even preferable to travelling to another country to learn a language.

When I was in Korea I reveled in my constant access to incredibly fast internet and cheap computer software. When I arrived in the Middle East I had to settle for a grid that was twenty or more rungs down from Korea on the technological ladder. When I travel to Africa, I can barely check my email.

A study in the UK concluded that  “without particular measures to overcome the digital divide, current practices in higher education reinforce socio-economic, cultural, ethnic and gender divides in access to higher education.” Second Life is an amazing resource that is full of limitless potential, but for who? This kind of technology is not reaching those who need it most. This is the problem that needs to be solved.  

Source

Sims, Julian,, Powell, Phillip, and Vidgen, Richard, (2005). E-LEARNING AND THE DIGITAL DIVIDE: PERPETUATING CULTURAL AND SOCIO-ECONOMIC ELITISM IN HIGHER EDUCATION. Retrieved 24 February 2014 from University of Bath: http://file:///C:/Users/dell/Desktop/20050141.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment