Monday, February 24, 2014

Comparing a 2D environment (Adobe Connect) with a 3D (Second Life) environment.

I have really enjoyed exploring both Adobe Connect and Second Life over the past week.  I must admit that I am far more accustomed to a program like Adobe Connect than I am with Second Life.  AC is fast, safe and reliable. I have often been described as being very linear, and while I don’t think this an accurate description of my character, I was attracted to AC’s linear, and dare I say, conservative qualities.  I didn’t expect to feel that way given my exploratory nature, but  using Adobe Connect with a specific goal in mind; perhaps meeting with a colleague or a student, was far more engaging than having to log on to Second Life, which is a program I’m still relatively unfamiliar with, especially in terms of its use an educational tool. 

Second Life is ideal for non-linear asynchronous learning. I enjoyed exploring SL and evaluating it as a possible learning tool that I could use with my students. I must say however, that the barriers I mentioned in my previous  blog entries  dampened my overall experience and frustrated me at times.  Second Life requires a very fast operating system and a first-world (at least in terms of speed and dependability) internet connection. Unfortunately, I don’t have either of those things at this present time. Therefore, it wasn't difficult for Adobe to seduce me with its highly functional attractive interface. 

The experiences I had this week reminded me that simply owning a computer is not enough to cross over to the digital age. Thankfully, I have a solid background in IT and therefore was able to navigate Second Life without much difficulty (providing my computer and ISP cooperated).  Nevertheless, your average person, with a less than stellar internet connection and inadequate computer resources cannot possibly expect to be able to successfully navigate an internet dependent platform like Second Life.  

Under the right conditions I am a major proponent of 3D learning environments like SL. 3D learning environments encourage educators to continue to apply  the social constructivist theory and improve models of Presence Pedagogy (Bronack, Sanders, Cheney, Riedl, Tashner & Matzen, 2008). I simply wish I had the resources to fully appreciate the experience. 

As a frequent traveler and an ESL instructor in a developing country  the digital divide is something that deeply concerns me. Both of these technological tools are very useful, but given my current situation Adobe Connect was significantly more practical and user friendly than Second Life. However, that doesn’t mean it is a better overall learning platform. You may recall from my other blog World Englishes that every Eritrean uses Facebook Basic, not because it is ideal, but because running the regular version of Facebook is simply not practical given their inadequate technological resources. Let’s hope for a future where everyone will have access to proper computers and high-speed internet connections.  


Sources

Bronack, S., Sanders, R., Cheney, A., Riedl, R., Tashner, J., Matzen, N.  (2008).  Presence pedagogy: Teaching and learning in a 3D virtual, immersive world.  International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 20(1), 59-69.

No comments:

Post a Comment